Unity is a game development ecosystem: a powerful rendering engine fully integrated with a complete set of intuitive tools and rapid workflows to create interactive 3D and 2D content; easy multiplatform publishing; thousands of quality, ready-made assets in the Asset Store and a knowledge-sharing community.
A month ago i got frustrated with my daily coding life and thought of learning something interesting like gaming.As usual, you start browsing on the internet and suddenly pops up some game engines like unity,UDK etc.
A course on MicrosoftVirtualAcademy also speaks about game engines.This made me to think and learn unity.
First of all the site to know,learn and try unity is ….any guess!!!! obviously unity3d.com. Though it says 3D,starting from unity 4.3 i has support for 2D too
After traversing the website horizontally,hope you would agree that i have answered the Question “What is UNITY?”.
Now as a unity budding developer,let me answer the most important question for a beginner “How to Learn UNITY?”.
- unity3dstudent-> take the bottom up approach (start with essentials)
Enough of websites for now….Let’s turns to the best books in the market
- Unity 3.x Game Development Essentials by Will Goldstone (unitybook.net)- 3.x,an older version!!!! read this to understand terms like prefabs,assets,scripts etc
- You want to learn C# scripting through unity game development–
Learning C# by Developing Games with Unity 3D Beginner’s Guide
Beginning 3D Game Development with Unity 4: All-in-one
Time to make hands dirty.…
- Download unity pro version (30 days trail) from unity website (select the unity pro while installing).
- Only 30 days :( …Don’t worry after 30 days unity will get converted to unity basic (free version)…Hurray!!!!
- Use the in-built unity assets in the unity store.
Unity Basic Vs Unity Pro.
- For me only Asynchronous (ASync) was missing…More details @ unity3d.com/unity/licenses
Windows store + windows phone game development?
- Yes, from unity 4.3 the support for windows game development has been extended
- Best place to learn and understand this……..docs.unity3d.com
- To learn about building and publishing the game to windows store… digitalerr0r.wordpress.com
If you want to understand the whole gaming scenario (languages,other game engines)…read this post
I have almost completed developing a Football game using unity…About to publish it to Windows store…Will keep you posted on it..
Stay tuned :)